Don't just delete the tag from the question and ignore everything else.If a question also has grammatical errors, terrible title, et cetera, then fix it along with removing the tag.
Let's Get This Party Started
Considering the positive response to Oak's meta, I think it's about time we begun a clean-up similar to the one happening at Stack Overflow. I've excluded Type 6 from Oak's meta, tags which mean roughly the same thing in different games, but are otherwise very unlikely to be used as filters by themselves, since there is still some dispute about whether this tags should be deleted. There are plenty of other tags to clean-up so we can have separate discussion about those types of tags after we've managed to clean-up the other type of tags.
- If a tag is clearly burnable, please add it. For those tags in the gray area, please post an answer asking for it to be added to the list, and why. We'll just the net score to decided if it should be.
- If there is a tag on the list you don't think should be deleted, please put a note next to the tag in this question saying it's 'Disputed', and post an answer saying why you think it should stay. We'll use the net score to determine if we should save it.
A few things to keep in mind:
- Avoid clogging up the front page. We don't want to completely destroy the front page while doing this.
- Don't just delete the tag from the question and ignore everything else. If a question also has grammatical errors, terrible title, et cetera, then fix it along with removing the tag.
- If a question should be closed, then cast a close vote (or flag it if you can't cast votes). Make sure to share the question in The Bridge so it will get enough close votes.
- If you come across a closed question, and you're >10k then cast a delete vote on it (assuming it's not a duplicate).
I've divided the tags into two main categories:
Tags to Delete
We don't want these tags, just burn them. If during the process of burning these tags you notice that most of them are all attached to questions about one game (i.e. 10/13 questions tagged with spells is also tagged with skyrim), then just delete the tag from the questions not tagged with that game, and flag one of the remaining ones for moderator attention. The mods will then merge the game tag and the tag to be burned, allowing for us to quickly and silently destroy a bunch of tags. When flagging for a mod make sure you tell them which tags to merge.
When you begin deleting a tag you should edit their Tag Wiki Excerpt to contain the following message:
DO NOT USE - Removed as part of "The great Arqade clean-up of 2012" - See link in Tag Wiki for more information.
And then put this in the Tag Wiki:
DO NOT USE - Removed as part of [The Great Arqade Clean-Up of 2012](http://meta.gaming.stackexchange.com/questions/4758/the-great-gaming-stack-exchange-clean-up-of-2012)
Tags to Fix
These tags are either inconsistently used, or we've decided to change how they are used. Retag questions accordingly, and modify the tag wiki if necessary.
When these tags have been cleaned-up add them to the Cleaned section at the bottom of the post so no one else spends time looking through them.
Okay folks, let the clean-up begin. turtle shades
Tags to Delete
Tags describing the question, and not the problem:
Tags which mean different things from game-to-game (remove):
Do not add anymore tags to this section until a meta discussion is held on these types of tags.
The community is still divided on whether not not these tags should stick around, so tags should no longer be added to this section until a discussion is held on them.
Tags which mean roughly the same thing in different games, but are otherwise very unlikely to be used as filters by themselves.
- untagged — Leave questions with this tag alone if you're not sure what game the question is about. Just leave a comment, or ask someone in chat.
- multiplayer - this tag is scheduled for burnination. However, there are a few special caveats:
- DO NOT remove this tag from any questions which are also tagged as mass-effect-3. There will be a request to rename multiplayer to mass-effect-3-multiplayer at the end of burnination.
- There are a number of other titles where a hyphenated multiplayer tag makes sense. Use your best judgement, and/or follow the example set by other editors to apply these where needed. For example, ac-revelation-multiplayer might make sense, though it's borderline. (CURSE YOU TAG LIMIT!)
Tags to Fix
Follow the guidelines laid out by LessPopMoreAwesome's meta post. Keep in mind that many of these posts will need a bit of editing or cleanup to include things like platform specific constraints.
These tags should only be used when it's a question about the genre. They shouldn't be used on a game just because it falls under that genre. Relevant meta
- dlc - 114 - Widely used as a meta tag. Most questions currently tagged with this should either have the tagged removed, or re-tagged with the name of the DLC.
- terminology - 117 - Questions like 'what does X mean?' when generically referring to the term would fit under this tag, whilst 'what does X mean [in this game]?' (whether directly referencing the game or whether it is implied) should have the tag removed.
- release-date - 10 - Questions asking for information on release dates
walkthrough traps guide crime maintenance game-mechanics interceptors fitting alchemy items training buildings ban mission magic sales enchantment stealth mobs profile inventory ammunition weapons patch healing shaman trading map-editor farming custom-maps high-score ai resources population collectibles combat experience killstreak-rewards campaign unlockables ranking league upgrades equipment sports-game pets guild reputation building expansions replayability endings leveling moneycraftingstrategy laning teams npcs pvp tournament character-build counters rushing drums cymbals bots build-orderreplays co-op story vehicles micro-management group-selection mini-games retail-box netflix localization language-pack voice-acting jungle statistics subscription tradeskills widescreen preload local-multiplayer spawning camera manual music