Gamescom 2011 is coming up from August 18th (17th for trade visitors) to August 21st. I was thinking about sponsoring the Gaming community there, if possible. It's located in Cologne, Germany and will be taking place in the Koelnmesse (Cologne Exhibition Center).
What is Gamescom?
Gamescom began in 2009 and is is now the largest games trade fair not only in Europe but the world (yes, even larger than E3!). Big name publishers in the industry such as Activision Blizzard, Electronic Arts, Microsoft, Namco-Bandai, Nintendo, Sony Europe, Square-Enix, Take Two, and Ubisoft have been there in the past. It was the site for major announcements such as the Sony PS3 Slim, and the games Fable III and Resistance 3.
Who will be there this year
Some of the currently known plans include:
- Activision Blizzard will be showing off Diablo III and StarCraft II: Heart of the Swarm will be playable for the first time in Europe. They also plan on having StarCraft II programers there, as well as doing live raids and giving out prizes.
- NCSoft plans on showing off more Guild Wars 2, letting players check out the Sylvari and Asura races and the Charr starting area, among other first time reveals. NCSoft has also mentioned that they plan on making a big announcement.
- THQ is planning making a big announcement there, rumored to be Dawn of War 3.
- Ubisoft is showcasing several of their upcoming releases, including Anno 2070, Assassin's Creed Revelations, and Might and Magic Heroes VI.
- Valve is hosting a $1,000,000 championship for Defense of the Ancients 2. This is the first time this highly anticipated game will be visible to the public.
Why is this interesting for Gaming.SE?
Well, we love gaming, obviously! We have a site full of passionate gamers who are very interested in what's coming down the pipeline in regards to new software and hardware. Some of the aforementioned publishers will be making announcements about game releases, and we look forward to having questions about those games on the site.
Some of the biggest publishers in the industry will be there, as well as other journalists and news sites. While our audience has steadily grown over the past year, this represents an opportunity to reach out to a broader audience that can provide us with more traffic and higher visibility to the gaming community at large.
What could I do for Gaming while I'm there?
I only live about a 2.5 hour drive from Cologne, so getting there wouldn't be a problem for me because my boyfriend would be able to drive me, though I'm currently unsure if I could go more than one day because hotel costs are rather considerable. I'm hoping I'll be able to swing it though. I know that @Ivo Flipse is also interested, as he, too, lives within driving distance of Cologne, but would likely only be able to make a daytrip.
What I'd want to do to promote us there:
- Take photos and do tripreports for the Gaming blog. I would plan on covering games and events that are relevant to the community and could also bring more traffic to the blog and site. I unfortunately do not have the resources to record any videos or do live streaming, but I would be able to do take lots of pictures and write up articles on what I'd seen. I can't guarantee I'd be able to make every single event because the event schedules may overlap for certain things, but I'd do my best.
- Give out swag. I already have my Gaming t-shirt which was sent to me for being one of the top users on the site, so I could wear that during the event. Having something to actually give to people though would be great because our URL isn't exactly that easy to remember off the top of your head at first glance. If I had stuff like business cards or stickers to give out to people at the convention hall, that would be awesome.
- Be awesome. Representing a community, website, and well, business, is a big responsibility. I have experience in public speaking as well as promotion, and I'd like to think that I would make a good representative for Gaming.SE in a public space.
So, what do you guys think about this? Do you have any questions/concerns? Personally, I really think this would be a great chance to increase our visibility. :)